Maternity session, Pre-Eclampsia, hospital stay, planned induction, maternity leave..

Wowser. I don’t even remember what my last update was. To start with good stuff, we had our maternity session last Sunday- finally a bit of snow! My good friend Shannon took the photos of us and while a few of them I’m iffy about my looks (I am HUGE! lol) I think she did a wonderful job. Adam looks so handsome.. and Cal (our dog) looks so fat! Like momma! lol I can’t wait to see the rest.


I had my 34 week appointment on Wednesday. The night before we had our birth class and so I had been out of the house from 8 am to 9pm. My legs were crazy swollen! I took pics to show my OB..


She agreed they looked very swollen and checked my legs that day- which were swollen up to my knees. My blood pressure was high and there was protein in my urine for the first time ever so they put me on a monitor for half an hour. Hawk’s heartbeat was great and his movements, too. After that I got some blood work. The results came back fine and they said I did not have pre-eclampsia.

This changed. I’ve been having a harder and hard time keeping up my pace at work. It’s been getting busier, and the clinic is expansive so having to walk patients through our maze has been putting a damper on me. I’ve been miserable, but holding out! The plan was to keep working until I went into labor. That’s out the window. Friday I was feeling hot and dizzy and my legs were swollen up again, so I decided to take my blood pressure. It was high again. I called my OB’s office and they were at a holiday party. The answering service asked if it was an emergency. I said I didn’t think so. She told me to feel free to call back if I changed my mind. I polled my mom’s group on FB and they all said I should at least call. My mom said the same, and I still felt really weird, so I did. The on call doc told me to go down to labor and delivery and they would get me sorted. I just figured it would be another monitoring session and I’d get to go. They had me pee in a cup, Hawk and I were hooked up to monitors again, and I sat in the labor and delivery triage for a few hours. Let me tell you- it’s terrifying to NOT BE IN LABOR surrounded by women IN ACTIVE LABOR. I thought holy shit, that will be me in six weeks. As a reminder, my original due date was January 24th. 

I fell asleep at some point after talking with my mom and Adam and I woke up to my OB’s partner telling me the scoop. She said I definitely have pre-eclampsia now and they want to monitor me in the hospital overnight. I’m going to be induced January 3rd when Hawk is 37 weeks- as long as my BP doesn’t go any higher. I asked if I could continue working, she said no. I’m done. They moved me to a private room, they did an ultrasound- Hawk is 5 pounds 5 ounces at this stage, by the way- and they gave me steroid shots to help his lungs should he have to come any earlier than 37 weeks. I did not expect any of this! It was kind of a whirlwind. The nurses and doctors were all very kind. With bedrest my BP went down a bit and though my urine still had protein in it, my liver and kidney functions are good so I was allowed to go home. I’m not on strict bed rest perse- so I asked if I could go to work and wrap up a few things. Not take patients but delegate tasks and send some emails. The doc said that would be fine. Today I went to the movies to see Star Wars and it was not a good idea. It took everything out of me and I could tell my BP was high when I was at the theater. Pre-e is no joke. It took me all night to recover. Now it’s almost 1 am and I did some album re-designs and I’m typing up this blog.

Tomorrow the office is going to call me to tell me when to come in to see my doc- my mom will be driving me around everywhere now. They want to see me at least twice a week. My maternity leave officially starts tomorrow. The best laid plans… I’ll be back at work March 28th. I’m bummed this takes time away from Hawk and I but honestly I was really really miserable at work and it was just getting worse.

Adam has been taking such great care of me and Hawk and Cal and he is just wonderful. He said he feared he would need a kick in the ass and be lazy but he says he feels his mindset has changed and his world revolves around myself and Hawk now. He’s been amazing, I could not ask for a better partner. I think he still holds on to how he was when he was in his early 20’s (hard to motivate) but he’s a grown man now and is so responsible and caring. I cannot thank my lucky stars enough that he is my husband.

Anyway, this is kind of rambley. I can’t believe in about two weeks I’ll be induced and Hawk will be on his way. I am petrified.

2 thoughts on “Maternity session, Pre-Eclampsia, hospital stay, planned induction, maternity leave..

  1. AKL says:

    Wow! You’ve had a lot going on! Firstly, it’s going to be ok. It’s really good you’re being monitored and also good that baby will come safely. 37 weeks is considered term so don’t lose sleep over that. My sister also had pre-E and felt very poorly so I feel for you. The good thing about an induction is that you have a date to work towards so just focus on resting until then (seriously, watch a lot of TV and movies – I miss movies!!). Soon enough baby will be here and none of this will matter other than that he and you are safe and well. xxx

    Liked by 1 person

  2. unplannedinfertility says:

    My goodness! I was put on monitors a couple times and nothing came of it and it was still nerve wracking, so I can only imagine how crazy you must be going! But all of this won’t matter in the slightest in 2 weeks. All that matters is that beautiful boy’s health! Get in your rest now. Which I know is ridiculous. You’re full of baby and uncomfortable and worried. But seriously. Sleep all that you can. 😉

    I can’t wait to see him! And I’m so glad we’re fbook friends now, because I’m sure he’ll make his debut there well before he does here! Breathe mama. You’ve got this. Xoxo

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s